Sunday, May 25, 2008

An Introduction

My husband and I met when we were fifteen years old. I was very unpopular, and he was the new, oh so popular football player. It was pretty much love at first sight. I can remember the two of us smiling and staring at each other from across the classroom all day long. One Friday night after a football game, I sat in the corner of our auditorium just hoping that he would ask me to dance. He did and the rest is history. After almost six years together, we finally got married, and we were so happy. Sure... life wasn't easy with paying bills, a tiny apartment, jobs, and finishing college, but we loved every second of being together. The only thing that was difficult was the big S word. Of course, it was special because we waited, but I felt like I had the libido of an old woman on her death bed. After 9 months, I finally broke down and told my ob/gyn about my issues. "Oh you poor thing, it is most likely because you are not very experienced." She was even sweet enough to copy off a chapter or two of a sex book. But thankfully, she said she would run some blood work just to make sure that my birth control wasn't taking a toll on my free testosterone. About a week later, she called back with the test results, "Courtney, I'm going to have to apologize to you. You really do have a hormone problem. Your blood work shows that you have hardly any free testosterone." I immediately went home and started finding out as much information as I could about the link between birth control pills and sex drive. Fortunately a new study came out in Jan of 06 that proved a connection. This was only the beginning of my medical internet researching as you will learn soon enough about me. Shaun and I made the tough decision that even though we weren't completely financially ready for a baby, we would stop using birth control pills in the hopes that my hormone problems would go away. And by the way because I know you are curious...over time it got A LOT better. Well we tried the condom route, and that just wasn't happening...then we tried some sort of foam that we still laugh about today so we ended up just saying the heck with it... let's just do it. Looking back on this makes me laugh, but I am also so grateful that God started us on this ttc journey a lot sooner than expected. If we hadn't stopped birth control pills, we would probably have no idea right now of our problems. I would be just getting off the pill with my friends only to watch them all get pregnant, and I would be left wondering what was taking us so long. I hope this long story explains in part why I am now writing an infertility blog at only 24.

1 comment:

☆ Loren ☆ said...

Hello! I myself get many questions and shocking statements, when people learn I am just now reaching 23 and yet desperately TTC. I guess I owe it all to my severe Impatient Disorder HaHa! It is not hard to find others in the IF Blog World who are going through the same struggles, but it is not often i find someone close to my age going through these struggles. I wanted to stop by and send you lots of *Babydust* and Welcome you to check out my blog. -Loren