Friday, February 6, 2009

Five Cute Little Fingers

I have missed blogging...I'm having major withdrawals. I need a computer!! My work computer won't let me post! I can post from my Blackberry, but we all know it isn't that easy to blog a long entry from a cell phone. So here's the long story of what happened last week. Last Saturday, I started having these sharp shooting pains that would not go away. It almost felt like my cervix so I started to get really worried, but then they went away so I relaxed a little and went to church the next day. At the end of the church service, I stood up to sing, and there they were again. I of course put myself on bedrest for the rest of the afternoon and night and called the on-call nurse who told me that it sounded like a UTI because I also had to pee frequently. The next morning, I called my sweet nurse, and she felt that we should come get an ultrasound and to get checked out. I really started to worry at this point as you can see in my post below. I called Shaun, and he immediately dropped what he was doing and picked me up at work. He knew better than to let me drive to the doctor's office by myself again (I found out about the loss of our first baby by myself at the doctor's office and somehow made it home). We were immediately called back for an ultrasound, and the tech could tell we were very scared. She did a transvaginal ultrasound first with the screen turned to her to "check the cervix length" while I knew she was checking the cervix...I also knew she would be looking to see if our baby still had a heartbeat. I kept looking desperately at her face for a reaction to know that everything was okay. Shaun was holding my hand so tight. And then she turned on the heartbeat...I think we all just took a nice big sigh. She then switched to the abdominal scan so that we could see the baby. And I know I'm partial, but oh my goodness...what a cutie. Both hands were by our baby's face, and we could see all five fingers on one hand. She even showed us baby's little feet, and they were crossed at the ankles. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world to see our baby so comfy in there...already displaying such a sweet personality. Shaun said in front of the ultrasound tech..."It's a girl, Courtney." I'm still thinking boy so it will be fun to find out soon who is right. I have the u/s pic right next to my desk, and I look at it all of the time. I love to count my baby's fingers. 1,2,3,4,5. I'm so amazed...what a miracle. Five perfect precious little fingers. I long for the day to feel those fingers tightly wrapped around mine. Most u/s pics are profile shots, but baby was looking right at us during the ultrasound. I hope all of you can tell what is going on in the pic. It is so much easier to see clearly as video, but we didn't have our dvd since it was an emergency. I ended up having to get a catheter to see how much urine was left in my bladder after I peed…ouch! Apparently my bladder was completely full during the ultrasound even though I just emptied it. My dr thinks that this could be contributing to my pain but he thinks that I could also be starting to get round ligament pain. I honestly think that was probably the pains now that I've read more about round ligament pain and have experienced a couple more episodes. As far as the bladder goes, I need to go to the bathroom every 2 hours, and they will keep a close eye on me for UTIs (urine looked great last time so hopefully it will stay that way). But I have to agree with my friend who replied to my everything is okay text..."woohoo...bring on the bladder issues...we want a baby...whew..thank the Lord."

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Absolutely precious little one! And even though I knew everything turned out great, I was holding my breath as I read, so scared for you guys and what you must have been feeling! Thank the Lord! Your baby is growing and doing great!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful little baby. What a reliefto hear that all is ok. I am so happy for you.

Keep an out for those UTI's. I had SO many of those when I was pregnant and was actually hospitalized over night for them. They are definitely painful and I was so afraid and thought the worst because of my history.

Keeping you and that sweet baby in my prayers.

Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a great picture. So precious. I am so happy for you.

Kate said...

Courtney, she's beautiful!!! (i don't know why, but i'm with shaun... i think your LO is a sweet little girl!) i'm so happy for you guys honey, & glad you're posting again!! ;)

Nichole said...

Courtney - this post (mostly the picture) brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you! I am so glad you got to hear the heartbeat. Thank you for sharing your beautiful picture!

barrentree said...

Beautiful! It looks like she's/he's waving to you. :-) I'm so glad everything turned out to be okay!!!

Misty Dawn said...

I'm so glad you are ok! I've been going through withdrawls as well with you not posting. You have me thinking the worst. Hurry up and get that comp fixed. LOL

Anonymous said...

Adorable! I got the same kind of pic with our babies hand right by her/his face. Your pic is more clear then mine though. I know what you mean about seeing it better on the u/s. Im so glad that we get to do this together! Im jealous you are ahead of me though! YAY for 2nd Tri Im almost there too! I will be 12weeks on Sunday! Glad that all is going ok! these are the babies we are bringing home girl!!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Hope the bladder issue gets resolved quickly, but goodness what a cute picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited that everything is ok.
~~~HUGS~~~

Faith said...

So glad everything is okay . . . great US pics!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm pretty sure you're having a girl too. I'm pretty good at that sort of thing (I know there's a 50% chance I'm right), but I'm usually dead on. You're u/s pic is so cute! So sweet! This is a week after you posted, so I hope your UTI is gone by now and you can STAND UP and SING in church!!

Foster Mama said...

Thats such a beautiful lil one. I'm so happy for you, I read your post in tears. I'm so glad that everything is ok.