Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pre-term Labor & Bedrest

It is hard to even know where to begin with this post! The past couple of weeks I might have mentioned on my blog that I've been having tons of braxton hicks contractions. I tried to not let them concern me because they weren't painful, pretty irregular and "normal" for this time in pregnancy, but part of me was starting to feel like something wasn't right. It is so hard to know what is normal in pregnancy, but I felt like the frequency was starting to increase daily, and I had a hard time believing that women walked around with as many braxtons as I did. But I'm so tired of being "that" patient. I have not made it from one appointment to the next without having to come in this entire pregnancy (except from my 7wk to 11wk appt...but I think I called several times lol). Well Monday afternoon/evening I started to notice a significant increase in contractions. I figured I was just dehydrated or something so I started drinking tons of water. And I started timing them...they were one minute long, three minutes apart. I know at this point all of you are probably going to kill me for not going into L&D, but I didn't understand how they could be that close together and still not very painful if it was true labor. I decided that I had stressed myself out and that was causing the contractions so I just stopped timing and went to bed. When I got up yesterday morning...they were still there and still three minutes apart. I knew I needed to at least call and of course they wanted me to come in right away. They first did a trans vag u/s to check on the cervix, and they were happy with the length (think it was approx 2.8 cm (peaked at screen :)...down from 3.75 cm at 21 weeks), and I'm assuming that they didn't see any funneling or they would have mentioned it. At this point I'm thinking that once again I can't just deal with normal pregnancy sypmptoms and that I'm that super annoying patient. We did the usual urine and blood pressure and then they put me on the monitors. Well of course I felt nothing...it was like those bands had super powers :)...I had a couple but NOTHING like what I had the night before or that morning or even on the way to the doctor's. Several contractions or activity still showed up on the monitor so it was enough for my OB to decide to check my cervix. I saw his face, and I knew it wasn't good. I was just waiting for him to say that I'm like 3 cm dilated or something. It turns out I was only a fingertip dilated, but I shouldn't have ANY dilation at just 28 weeks with my "first" pregnancy (I always hate saying that but they are just speaking in terms that this is my first pregnancy to progress past first tri). So I was sent over to L&D for monitoring, and I again didn't have nearly as many contractions as I did at home. But I did have enough that they gave me one shot of terbutaline. I started seeing some really weird spots in my vision but fortunately it didn't last long and I also had a racing heartbeat (which is normal side effect from the shot). We thought one was going to knock it out...but activity started again so they gave me a procardia pill. At this point I need to mention how amazing my friends are...seriously they are the best. Shaun couldn't get out of work because he had an important all day conference call (of course he could have left if it got really bad!..he was just a phone call away). Claire and Bridget both knew that I would not ask for them to come up there so they just came, and it was so great having them there. They kept me VERY entertained. I loved how they asked a million questions so for once I didn't have to be "that" patient, and they were watching the monitor closely to look for contractions. Andrea and Jessica were texting me to check on me, and they were also just a phone call away. It makes a huge difference to face something like this with friends by your side. It really looked like the contractions were gone until right before my OB came to check on me...I had several more. They gave me another shot of terbutaline and later another procardia. This seemed to do the trick, and we were discharged around 8 PM with a prescription for procardia every 6 hours and strict bedrest until further notice. OB said we can re-evaluate the bedrest in 3 weeks if I don't have any episodes and no more changes to my cervix. As I'm typing this in bed right now, I'm still having some contractions so I'm not feeling very confident that this will just be a 3 week bedrest. Shaun is meeting my Dad to pick up my Mom tomorrow night so I will be very grateful to have her here. I know it might not be realistic, but I'm keeping my eyes set on 12 more weeks...that would put me at my due date of August 12th! I will lay here for 12 weeks if that is what it takes. We are very encouraged that Henry is looking great on the ultrasound and is still measuring a little over a week ahead. He also did really well on the monitors yesterday, which makes me happy. They did give me a steroid shot for his lungs to develop at the hospital yesterday, and I will get another dose at my ob's office today around 3. I know I'm leaving out info so please feel free to ask questions! I will update (maybe even via mobile--wow fancy) if I have to go into the hospital again or if anything changes this afternoon.

But after such a scary post...let me leave you with some 4D pics of sweet Henry. I know I'm partial, but he is a cutie! We had the 4D the Friday before Mother's Day, and we caught him yawning several times and playing with his toes. He is such a blessing, and he is just precious.







Caught in a yawn!

11 comments:

Heather said...

Courtney-he is so precious. After your trials to get pregnant and continue past the first tri, it is so upsetting that you are having these dang contractions. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bed rest sucks. I only had it for 2 1/2 until she was forced to be born 4 weeks early.

Keep going momma. You can do it!

Kate said...

first, courtney-- henry is beautiful!!!! you guys are so blessed :)

& second, i know how scary this must be for you guys. N & I were there at 26 weeks with our guys & it's terrifying. you're doing all the right things tho-- pay close attention to any changes & don't hestitate to go in if you feel "off". hang in there sweetie-- you're doing great!

Birdee said...

those are precious pics of Henry.
Love the yawn.

I hope your contractions die down soon and stay away for 12 more weeks.

Amanda said...

HE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

Ok, now thats out of the way....I know we are all different, but if it makes you feel any better I had a similar situation at 32 weeks, then had to go back it at 33 weeks. I got a scrip for the meds to stop labor and took them until 36 weeks. I was 1cm at 33 weeks and 1 cm when I went in to be induced for high blood pressure at 39 weeks! Like I said, we are all different, but hopefully it at least makes you a little less scared. Take it easy and take care of that sweet baby boy! (((HUGS))) and some STAY PUT vibes to your little guy. I can already tell you will have your hands full with him ;)

Lisa said...

He is BEAUTIFUL and simply PRECIOUS!! Glad to hear that all is ok, but I will be praying that all continues to go well. I remember having contractions too and then when I would go into the hospital, they would stop. Gotta love it when the nurses look at you like you are crazy (lol).

Hang in there.

Hugs,
Lisa

Heather said...

Courtney,
Henry is blessed with a Mommy like you who is taking care of him so well. You know that even if he did come early, he would be okay, because God is taking care of your family. You would not have come this far. Just keep your feet up, relax and enjoy the last few weeks with Henry snuggly inside. He is a beautiful baby and God will bring him into the world at the perfect time. Take care of yourself!
Heather (MagaliesGarden)

Michelle said...

Before I forget, what ADORABLE u/s pictures! Henry IS a cutie indeed!!!!

As for the pre-term labor..thank goodness you went in!!!! Contractions like that are exactly how I went into labor (granted I was term), but until my water broke (which was only 45 minutes before I was 10cm), I was still doubting that my contractions were for real since they weren't painful for so long!

I'm so glad that they were able to stop the contractions and you are now with a script and on bedrest! Granted, I can imagine how boring bedrest will be, but stay put Henry!!!! I know you are eager to meet your mommy and daddy and they are too...but give it at least 9 more weeks! ;)

Hedda said...

Hey Ms. Courtney. I have had my first round of preterm labor with the pregnancy. I was 29w5d. With my second pregnancy I had my first round at 28w. I carried the second to 36w2d with no bedrest and just meds. I was 2-3cm for the last 5 weeks of that pregnancy.

I picked a research hospital in my area for this pregnancy. Everything that I'm used to doctors doing for preterm labor they don't do. It's so strange. No bed rest. No terb. No mag sulfate. (They find procardia works just as well without the nasty side effects.)

I know this is all very scary for you. You tried for so long to get to where you are and all you want is to bring home your sweet baby boy. Your doctors will do everything they can to get you as far as you can. Remember, 37 weeks is term. If you can get there, Henry should be great.

We are all here thinking of you and pulling for you. If you need someone to talk to that has been through it and understands, feel free to contact me.

Anonymous said...

im glad your doing better!!! i have been following your blog and am very inspired by your story! im also ttc'n and also wish for a great outcome soon. im not sure if your remember me....im nora from the webmd itsg board, i mainly lurk for now. well i hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well and quickly cause i know your dieing to hold Henry. sweet isn't it!
Love, Nora

May said...

Hello! I'm a preterm labor/ bedrest success story, here from Lost and Found. My labor wasn't caught until the last possible second so I spent a long time in the hospital on mag and terbutaline. It sounds like you're doing everything you can! Hang in there!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I love the pic of him covering his face - it is soooo cute :)

Enjoy your bed rest