Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Trip to Labor and Delivery

Everything is okay, but boy did we have a scare! I woke up in the wee hours of Saturday morning with my underwear soaked. I tried to remain calm knowing that it could very easily be pregnancy related discharge so I changed and went back to bed to see if it continued to "leak." Woke up Saturday morning, and I was still having a significant amount of wet discharge so we didn't have any choice but to call the ob on-call. Fortunately the dr on call was my former OB/GYN (loved her...just not her nurse), and she was at the hospital so we met her there. I was pretty freaked out by the time we got to the hospital. We "quickly" (lots of paperwork) got checked-in and before I knew it I was changing into a hospital gown and giving a urine sample. They immediately got me in bed and got the monitors going to see if I was having any contractions and to monitor Baby Henry's heartbeat. Dr. C came right in with a portable ultrasound to check the fluid level. We were all relieved to see plenty of fluid surrounding him. He was also measuring a week ahead still, and Dr. C explained to us that if we had to deliver that he would probably do okay. I think Shaun and I both were pretty scared when we heard her say "if we had to deliver"..yikes!! Henry is not even close to being ready! Dr. C ran a ph test, fern test, and ffn test which all came back negative to our relief. Once I found out all of the test results, I completely calmed down. It was so nice to lay there and listen to my sweet boy's heartbeat. I was having discomfort/tightness...which I'm still having...and it was showing up on the monitor so my L&D nurse had me drink an enormous amount of ice water in a short amount of time. Apparently I have a "irritable uterus." I would be irritable too if I was stuck in this reproductive system...can you blame my poor uterus? After all of the cold water...Henry was no longer a happy camper, and he kicked and moved all over the place. They could not keep his heartbeat on the monitor after that, and they had to keep coming in to change the location of the doppler. He was such a good little guy at the beginning, but he had enough! And so did his Dad! Shaun was starving...it was almost 4 in the afternoon, and he only ate a little cereal in the morning. After my uterus seemed to calm down, they finally let us go! My L&D nurse was so sweet. I really hope she is my nurse for the real thing.

I went in Monday afternoon to see my OB, and he ordered another ultrasound just to make sure the fluid level was still great. The fluid level was perfect, and he was too cute in there...stretching out both of his hands. Ultrasound tech was sweet enough to give me some more pics of him, and she said that he will be the perfect size next Friday for our 4D...I can't wait!! So apparently I have a mild bacterial infection that might have caused the increase. I feel somewhat silly now for going to the hospital, but I'm going to do whatever I can to protect this little guy. Dr. C (the ob on-call) told us that she thought her water broke 5 times so that made me feel so much better. Below is a picture that Shaun took of me with his cell phone at the hospital...don't I look pitiful? It was really hard to drink all of that water when I needed to pee!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad little Henry is okay! I have LOVED reading through your blog today... please keep this up. You are inspiring so many people! Thanks for being so open!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Henry is OK and it was nothing to be too concerned about. Pregnancy after IF... there is no such thing as 'no more worry'!! It's just a different kind of worry now!

Lisa said...

It is always better to be safe then sorry. As I got towards the end of my pregnancy... I went in to the hospital more frequently because of certain aches or pains and other things, but was glad that I did. You never can be too sure. It was always a HUGE relief to hear Cameron's heartbeat and hear that he was ok.

So happy to hear that Henry is ok. Take Care!!

Heather said...

Glad to hear that everything is alright. Baby Henry and you are troopers.

Searching for Serenity said...

That must have been so frightening. It sounds like you have a great support team on your side. I'm so relieved to hear all is well. Whew!

Michelle said...

So glad to hear it wasn't your water breaking and Henry can continue to bake!!! And about going to the hospital..I agree, better safe than sorry!!

Robin said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything is okay. Don't feel bad about going in- better safe than sorry!!

Bernardeena said...

So glad everything is ok. Hopefully you won't have any more scares and the rest of your pregnancy will go really smoothly.

I Believe in Miracles said...

That is so scary!! I'm glad to hear everything is ok. Wow. Keep us posted. Praying for you hun.
~~HUGS~~

Courtney said...

What a scare! here's to hoping that doesn't happen again!

Birdee said...

I'm so glad your little man is okay and not making his appearance in this world just yet.
I'm so greatful that we have reached a higher viability (I'm now 25 weeks) in case something does happen, but I too am sooo not ready to deliver.