Saturday, June 13, 2009

Daddy Instinct

Last night was probably one of the funniest (and sweetest) things I've witnessed in a long time. Shaun was very tired from a long week of work so he feel asleep on the couch and told me to wake him after I was done getting ready for bed. I really wasn't that tired so after turning out all of the lights, I decided to lay down on our love seat to do a little internet surfing and blog reading. Jen from Maybe If You Just Relax posted a blog about the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp. I just finished reading the book as part of my quest to learn everything I can about babies on bedrest so I decided to take a look at what Jen had to say about the book. At the end of her fabulous summary of Dr. Karp's 5 Ss, she had two related youtube videos to watch. I watched the first video which was about ten minutes on a very low volume, and Shaun didn't move a bit...he was definitely in a deep sleep. When I clicked on the second video, a newborn was crying, but I didn't think it would bother Shaun since it was at such a low volume. About two seconds into the crying, Shaun all of a sudden throws off his covers...pops off the couch and starts sprinting to the bedroom door. "Courtney, Courtney are you okay?? I thought I heard a baby crying??!!" When I first saw him throw off the covers I thought I woke him and that he wasn't happy about it, but there he was obviously distraught at our bedroom door with his hair sticking up everywhere and a big line down his face from the blanket he was using. I have never seen anyone move that fast from a deep sleep. It was like he turned into Jackie Chan. At this point I was confused..."Shaun, are you okay?" Once he realized that I was laying on the loveseat, he got this priceless look of relief on his face. "I thought you were hurt...I really thought I heard a baby crying." We both started laughing as we realized what happened. "Well it definitely seems like your daddy instinct is ready!"

It really meant a lot to me to see Shaun react like that to a little newborn cry. It made me realize that I'm not the only one who is going through a lot of changes and feeling some anxiety. And he must really love us to sprint into action that fast from a deep sleep! He is going to be the best daddy!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

That is great! He's definitely ready for fatherdom.

It is strange how we can be sound asleep and the tiniest noise that Chloe makes will wake us both right up. Last night she woke me up when her paci fell out of her mouth.

Lauren said...

That is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard! It's so funny to watch what babies do to our manly men. :)

Lauren

mandy_moo said...

That's so sweet... my husband sleeps like the dead.

Robin said...

That's so sweet.. I secretly still like it when I see my DH jump in the night when our 4 year old makes noise. I love that he's as tuned into her as I am.

Kate said...

too sweet! he is going to be a great daddy :)

& i know this wasnt the point of your post, but that book rocks-- it really does work to sooth super cranky babies.

Michelle said...

Awwww, I have to admit, I'm all teary! My DH sleeps through our babies crying...always! Darn it! That is sooo sweet that he reacted like that! Oh yes, he's going to make an awesome daddy!!!!!

May said...

I love the fact that eventually you get to the point where "I want you" crying in the night doesn't even wake you up, but "I *need* you" crying elicits a similar response to your husband's. If I find myself moving quickly down the hall toward the kids' rooms without even realizing how I got out of bed, there's usually a kid throwing up somewhere.

sweetpeanme said...

That is absolutely adorable!!! My heart is just melting...Father's Day is right around the corner...he is definitely ready!! :o)