Monday, June 1, 2009

Back from dr...

I decided to call my nurse this morning because I'm still having contractions while taking procardia. She thought it would be best for me just to go ahead and come in to be monitored. I'm glad she did because it really gave me peace of mind. I was definitely having what they like to call "irritability" (a wavy line the entire time)and a few larger contractions. My nurse was saying that I definitely had something going on there, but then my doctor came in and said that he "wasn't that impressed" with my contractions. He checked my cervix (I was terrified that he was going to see more progress and send me to the hossy), and there was no change!! We also did a transvaginal ultrasound to check the cervix length, and it was 3.1 cm, which is a slight improvement from two weeks ago. So what does this tell us? We are on the right track with the procardia and bedrest. I really do think that the bedrest is helping! And my dr must agree because I got the impression from him today that I'm on bedrest for good. Considering Wednesday makes me 30 weeks...I'm guessing that I have about six more weeks. So how do I feel about this? Well this morning I started writing this really sad pity party post about all of the things I'm not going to get to do because I'm on bedrest. I'm glad that I didn't post it because it was pretty pitiful, but I will mention a few things. We should be on our way right now to our first childbirth class. I was so excited about our childbirth class that I registered for it in early March. I was just looking forward to being a normal little happy expectant couple going to childbirth class. I had it all planned out that Monday nights were going to be our date nights and that we were going to go out to dinner after class. Oh the best laid plans! I also had two showers planned for this month...One here in town and one in our hometown in Alabama. Then a quick trip after the AL shower to the beach with Shaun to meet up with my close college friends (I had a really cute bathing suit by the way). Add to that list a maternity photo shoot, prenatal massage and pedicure gift certificate that I can't use, soaking in pools, shopping for Henry, a breasfeeding class, and a much needed haircut. So yes I'm a little sad. I'm sad that I can't just be normal for once. I try not to think about what this could potentially mean for future pregnancies and fertility treatments but I do. This could be it for me. We won't be able to risk multiples like we did to get pregnant with Henry. With all of that said...I am so blessed, and I have absolutely no reason to complain. Who cares if I can't get a massage or go on a beach trip?? Who cares! I have the sweetest most precious gift inside me right now, and I will do anything for him.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad to hear that bedrest is working, but sad to hear that you had BIG plans and can't do much of anything right now. Does the doctor think you will be able to do anything? What if DH takes you to your showers or wheels you around in a wheelchair? Do you have to be totally horizontal? Thinking of you... hang in there!

Heather said...

I was in bedrest for 2 1/2 weeks before I delivered 4 weeks early. Maybe your baby shower could come to your house. That is what mine did. You might see if (dr permitting) you could have the massage come to you also.

Just as an FYI- I had extreme swelling and high b/p (very little contractions) with my first and my second pregnancy was perfect. You might still be able to have another one. :)

Michelle said...

You are such an amazing mommy already! I'm so glad to hear that bedrest is doing the trick!

Misty Dawn said...

Glad to hear that the bed rest is working! Could you not drive to AL and just ride in the back with your legs up?? Isn't that the same as being on bedrest at home? Could you rent a wheelchair and be pushed everywhere? I hate that you're going to miss out on all the normal PG things, but you are right, Henry is the best gift of all.

((((HUGS))))

Kate said...

i'm sorry sweetie, i knwo how much it sucks to give up all your plans-- i had to give it all up too. i know you already knwo it, but it's all worth it! & i wouldn't give up on a baby shower yet. i was able to go to mine & literally lay on a couch the whole time, i felt a bit silly, but it was fun & so worth it to get out of the house. or maybe the shower could come to you, so you don't even have to leave your couch! ((HUGS)) & hang in there-- you guys are doing great!

Heather said...

Courtney, your nursery looks positively peaceful! Henry is one lucky guy! There are lots of things you can do while on bedrest - I know our hossy has their childbirth classes on video for Mommies on bedrest. Make a date with hubby to bring some take-out, a movie, and your favorite toenail polish and let him paint your toes! THAT is romance and true love...I am sure your baby shower will happen somehow, your family will not let you down on that regard! Just think about taking Henry with you to the beach instead...little swimsuit and sunhat sittin' with his Momma on the beach? Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

{{{hugs}}} I'm so glad little Henry is staying put-30 weeks is awesome! I hope you'll be able to have as many pregnancies as you want-maybe they'll just have to be widely spaced or you'll need a cerclage to help prevent ptl issues. Talk to your dr before you get too sad about it.

Amy (webmd)

Hedda said...

For the record, I had secondary infertility. I am also a high risk pregnant lady because I've had two preterm births. There was no mention of not being able to do infertility treatments because of my history. They just said that once I was pregnant they would send me to the high risk OB. We only have one in there, and a couple rounds of preterm labor so far.

Don't give up just because one pregnancy you had preterm labor. P-17 shots are an amazing thing.