Tuesday, July 7, 2009

34 Weeks, Dr Appt Update

So here I am again only 20 minutes away from 35 weeks, and I'm just now sitting down to do my 34 week post. Time is flying!! We are in major preparation mode at our house right now, and Shaun and I are both nesting. Sometimes I think Shaun has more pregnancy symptoms than I do! He has been complaining of reflux right along with me (very strange because he never has any problems with that), and I even think he is starting to crave milkshakes. He spent hours cleaning and organizing our garage on Saturday morning while I stayed on the couch wondering when the nesting would hit me. Last night, I finally had a burst of energy and scrubbed our toilet for a ridiculous amount of time. My friend was sitting on our bed talking to me while I was working on it, and she stopped her story at one point and was like, "Courtney! how dirty was your toilet??!!" Well it definitely needed a good clean, but I guess I might have gotten a little carried away.

Doctor Appt Update: So I'm still a fingertip dilated, which at this point is a good thing. Of course, leave it to me to now worry that I'm never going to make any more progress and that I'm going to stay fingertip forever. When my nurse got me into my room, she was like "oh yeah and we need to get you a date!" I had NO clue what she was talking about, but I said..."oh yeah....a date!." And matched her enthusiasm! I figured it out later when my dr said that we could induce on August 5th if we wanted to deliver that day. Um....that is in less than a month??!! Of course at first I got excited, but induction is NOT what I want so I had to have a little pep talk/conversation with myself. Shaun and I are hoping and planning for a vaginal delivery without induction and no pain meds. I understand that this is just a plan and that it could end up being thrown completely out the window, but it is our goal. It would be really nice to know the date, and I would certainly love to know that I would be holding my sweet boy this time next month, but I can't let myself be tempted. What happened to the good ole days when your doctor would make you go forever after your due date before he would even talk about inducing?! And why does it feel like an epidural is required for delivery? I feel like I'm a rebel or something because I want to go natural. Now I know a lot of you are thinking..."Courtney...why in the world would you want to go natural?" Well to be honest, I want to feel childbirth. I want to experience it physically. I'm actually excited about it. And there is also this tiny part of me that wants to see how close my endometriosis menstrual cramps (where I passed out from the pain or couldn't walk or moaned in pain) were to childbirth pain--but believe me that is not the main reason why I'm going natural :). I've told only a few people about our plans for natural because usually most people freak out when you tell them you are considering it. I haven't even told my doctor because I don't want to see the look he gets on his face or to hear how he thinks it is best to go with the epi. I guess I have to bring this up at some point??!! Or maybe he can just figure it out when he walks in the delivery room, and I don't have a big smile on my face :). Thoughts?? I have decided to make sure to inform my labor and delivery nurse that we don't want pain meds and that I don't want to be offered pain meds. I think that would make it so hard if they kept asking..."are you sure you don't want an epi? or a little something to take the edge off??." I also ran into a friend at a baby store the other day who delivered at the same hospital that we are going to, and she said that the nurse didn't even really ask her if she wanted the drugs. She just said "here you will want this" and forced some loopy medicine into her IV. She said it never wore off and that it just made her feel out of it. I don't want to be "out of it" for one of the most exciting moments of my life. This gave me a little idea of what to expect with the staff so I know I'm going to have to be pretty firm in the beginning. Heck maybe I should even come in with a birth plan so they will really like me then :).

YAY for 35 weeks! It is time for bed!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh girl, I wish it wasn't almost 2am and I have to be up before 7 to fly alone with 2 kids...I have so much to say..so I'll be back. I was induced with DS, too early, I got excited for a date. I had a c/s! :( not that c/s's are bad, but my reason was, impatient!!! With DD, I let my body do it's thing. Labor came, I went 99% natural (and oh yes, I heard the comments) and I birthed my DD, so proudly! Painfully yes, but it was amazing!!!

I'll post more later!!

Robin said...

Hey Courtney.. I can't beleive you are so close! Congratulations on your miracle :)

I totally respect your decision, and don't want to talk you out of going natural so don't worry, but I did want you to know that if you do end up with an epidural, you won't feel "out of it" and would be totally aware. I was really worried about that myself. But it really is just like being numb at the dentist, and even better because it's not in your face. For me, I felt like I was better able to focus on the baby being born after the epi because the pain was so ridiculous that I couldn't talk and the epi took the edge off. I still felt her be delivered, just sort of in a number way (like you can feel your fillings without the pain).

Anyhow, whatever you do... good luck! If you can do it natural, more power to you! :) No matter what happens, it will still be the best day of your life!!!!!!!

Take care
Robin

Kristin said...

I can't believe its aready 35 weeks!! It goes by way too fast. :) You'll definately have to let me know how the natural birth goes, as that is how I plan on delivering too! Ah, I am so excited to 'meet' Henry! Your ticker says only 35 more days!!!!!!!

Amanda said...

I have always had issues with anesthesia so my epi didn't actually work for me, and I am kind of glad I got to feel it all. It really wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. It hurts, don't get me wrong, but you have some much adrenaline that you just sort of get past it (at the very end that is). I was scared to death to push without one, but actually that was the easiest part for me. GOOD LUCK! I am sure you can do it....but don't feel bad if you opt for the epi either, you just have to do what it takes to get that little boy here safe and sound!

Brooke said...

Hey Courtney!
I know I do not know you in real life but I love hearing all about your miracle baby!

I thought I wanted to go all natural but my daughter ended up having to be an emergency c/s at 35 weeks and that you can not have (nor would I want to have) all natural! I was a little leary of getting the epi so I got a spinal instead. Unlike the epi that stays in the spinal was just one shot and only last an hour or so. I never felt loopy and I could fell the whole c/s minus the pain. Then 20 mins into the recovery room I walked down the hall and into the NICU to see my daughter. It was wonderful!

I would try to stick it out without the epi but if you have to have something consider the spinal!

Richelle & Mike said...

Hey Courtney I am totally for the natural birth too! If I were having only one I would do the same for sure. Have you seen the documentary "the business of being born"? It's all about the pros of delivering naturally. Check it out. It's pretty liberal though just an FYI.

Heather said...

Well I have had two kids. Going into the first delivery, I had several things that I didn't want. I didn't want a preemie, a baby under 5 lbs, bedrest, or a c-section and I had all 4 things happen.

My suggestion to you is to have an idea of what you want but be able to be flexible if needed. Little Henry might be breech and then you might have to have a c-section and you definatly want all the pain meds you can get. However tell them that you don't want any Versed or any other meds like that. They are hypnotics (kind of) and you really won't remember a whole lot for several hours after delivery. That happened the first time and I told the anesthesiologist that I did not want them with my second delivery.

Basically, go into your delivery with some expectations, but keep in mind that you must be willing to throw them out the window if needed. Your baby will have a lot to say about how your delivery goes.

I can't wait to meet Henry and it seems like this has gone so fast. Are your bags packed?

Courtney said...

Lots of good info girls!! Keep those stories coming!

I did want to clarify though that the pain relief I was referring to about being "out of it" was actually a narcotic in her IV... NOT an epidural.

And yes :) I would of course need to have an epi if I had to have an emergency c-section. I think that goes without saying girls!

Again...all of this is just a goal, and we are completely open to the fact that a lot of the labor and delivery process could be completely out of our control and that we might have to change plans!

Christy and Kevin said...

I usually just lurk, but found your blog when I was going through infertility as well. Happy 34 Weeks! I just gave birth to my son Cody on 6/26/09 after many, many years of trying. I did end up going with the epidural though because of the pain of childbirth and also because of my scar tissue issues that I have. I cannot wait to see you sweet little boy. Congrats again to 34 weeks!!

Christy
www.dailynewsofus.blogspot.com

I Believe in Miracles said...

Yeah for 34 weeks, a possible due date AND being off bed rest. Courtney, this is AWESOME news. Yeah!!

I've had several friends who are gung ho about natural delivery. I'd say, make sure you talk to your dr about it. I also heard it's better for pushing because you can feel, but you just have to be flexible. If you're in labor for a LONG time and not progressing, you may need an epi to get some rest. BUT I have had a friend have 2 kids naturally and was induced both times.

~~HUGS~~