Monday, July 27, 2009

37 (almost 38!) Dr Appt Update

Today we started out with a biophysical and weight estimate ultrasound to check on Baby Henry since he has been a little quiet these past few weeks. The good news is that he is practicing his breathing like he is supposed to, which is a great sign that he is still doing very well in my belly. He is also estimated to be a big boy for 37 weeks at 7 lbs 7 ounces. Now I know that ultrasound measurements are consistently wrong so he could be smaller, but it is good to hear that he seems to be a nice healthy size. The ultrasound tech also pointed out that he has huge hands! They were so cute and chunky :)...can't wait to kiss them! I was feeling pretty encouraged and excited after the ultrasound because he looked so great. Unfortunately, I didn't get the best news during the cervix checking portion of my doctor appointment :(. Still no progress...Henry hasn't dropped, no changes in dilation or effacement. Apparently most first babies drop weeks before their due date and if this doesn't occur...my doctor starts to wonder if there isn't a reason for why he hasn't dropped (ex: too big for pelvic bone structure). We talked again about a possible induction date of August 5th (holy cow that is in a week), but I explained to my doctor that I'm not interested in inducing until/unless absolutely necessary. All of the c-section and induction talk left me feeling very discouraged and confused, but I'm feeling better after talking it over with some family and friends. We have waited a long time for this sweet baby boy, and if there is one thing that infertility has taught me it is patience during a unknown waiting period :). As much as I'm looking forward to the sweet day that we get to hold our little boy, I can wait until he is ready. All we can do now is pray that things will progress and most importantly pray for a healthy and safe delivery. In the meantime...I'm going to choose to treasure this precious time that I have left with Henry in my belly. He is growing up too fast already :).

Now for my curious readers...what is in those bags?? I tried my best not to over pack, but I can't help myself at the same time :).

The Labor Bag-

Freezer ziplock of snacks for Shaun- granolas, fruit snacks, trail mix--have to keep that labor coach energized!

Blood pressure cuff and belts- the l&d nurses asked for me to bring these back...I guess it saves the hospital money or me?

"The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin- absolutely the BEST I've seen in information regarding natural childbirth...has a lot of easy to find/quick guides for situations that might come up

Labor Positions chart

Massage tools and lotions--also included a sock with two tennis balls in case of back labor

Chapstick

Focal point--Henry's 4d pics

Eyeglasses--didn't know if they would make me take my contacts out if I had a c-section

Also plan on packing my ipod with some tunes

Slippers and socks

Thin robe

Hair Bands

Diaper Bag

Going home outfit--blue with white polka dot kissy kissy gown with hat to match and white booties :)

2 gowns

1-2 side snap white shirts

2 pairs of socks

1 receiving blanket

2 burp cloths

Nursing Pads


Postpartum Bag-a.k.a Post-party Bag- Shaun has only heard the term postpartum in the context of postpartum depression so he said we should call it the post-party bag instead :)

No-so-cute Panties

Blue Nursing gown with robe

Light Pink Nursing gown with robe

Nursing Bras

Notepad


Toiletries Bag

All of our toiletries that we use in travel size. Packed new toothbrushes and contact solution in case we don't have time to pack. Also packed flushable wipes because the hospital toilet paper is like sandpaper--but I heard I will be using a spray bottle so who knows??!!


I also have a quick list of things to grab at the last minute...including what Shaun will need to pack for the hospital and a tech bag with video camera, digital camera, laptop, chargers, etc.

I'm obviously just guessing when it comes to what to pack...what am I missing experts??!!

17 comments:

Robin said...

I know the hospital will have diapers for you, but pack some wipes for Henry. Our hospital wanted us to use washcloths, and they just seemed too rough for Alli's bum.

Make sure you also pack nursing cream for you, your address book so you have all the numbers you need, and something warm to wear. My hospital room was FREEZING!

Good luck!!!

Heather said...

Cell phone and charger. Another thing I did was I made a calling tree. I had my husband call the close family that wasn't there for the delivery (planned c-section) and two close friends with all the details and those people were responsible for calling other friends, coworkers and church members. That way Shaun only has to make a few phone calls and can be with you and Henry instead of being on the phone for a while.

If I can think of anything else, I will let you know. If you plan on nursing, you might make a cute little sign for his bassinet that says something like "Please bring me to my mommy to eat." Something like that so they don't try to bottle feed him.

Birdee said...

I’m a fan of your words “Waiting until HE is ready”.
Maybe I missed it in your post, but I like to just suggest bringing a adult sanitary diaper (Yes diaper). Not that a pad doesn’t work on many women, but my bottom end was so sore and I was still bleeding so bad, I didn’t like the direct pressure of a pad, so a big–flat–absorbent “Depends” did the trick for me, (Attractive Eh? Talk about “Not So Cute Panties”).
And you also may want to bring a doughnut cushion, the ride home can be rough w/o some TLC.
GL sweetie, I'm so excited to hear how your birth goes. We're so close (I'm just days behind you). I hope we both have beautiful perfect (as possible) births. =D

Kate said...

i had an crazy emergency c-sec (lets hope you avoid that!!) but since the dudes were NICU babies i spent a lot of time shuffling up & down hospital hallways, & if you're doing natural labor you could end up walking a bunch too, so i recommend some of those fuzzy sock-slippers with rubber grippers on the bottom. it was too cold for bare feet, & you don't want to slip & fall. & definetly do not forget the nursing balm-- i really liked straight lanolin. good luck!

Amanda said...

honestly...it sounds like you have more than enough LOL (I did too). I do agree with the wipes. They have thick washcloth like things that you wet and use. They are great for the first poopy, but after that they are just annoying to use. Also, the hospital will have clothes for him, so you really just need your coming home outfit. BUT...it is always better to be overpacked than under... and if you would rather use your own well then go for it :) So happy/excited for you!

Ashley said...

I would pack a couple towels and washrags for showering as the hospital ones typically aren't anything like the ones we are used to at home! Nursing creme for the uncomfy period of beginning nursing. Something comfy for you to wear home (and that is kinda cute for picture opportunities). Some money (both coins and dollars) for Shaun to get snacks with in vending machines. Tucks pads for hemorrhoids. Granny panties for if you do have a c-section (all my undies hit right at my incision so I had to go buy some huge panties...if they can even be called that...once I got home). That's all I got for now!

LORI said...

I didn't nurse so advice on what to bring really in that respect...I know a gave a girlfriend of mine her Boppy at the hospital and she said it was awesome to have there.

I would have to agree on the not over-packing...you're going to have lots of visitors bringing goodies which makes for a fun "loading the car" session coming home.

I had my diaper bag...never used it. My rec would be to leave that and your carseat in the car until you see if you're gonna need it. I'd would throw socks and a hat in your bag for him (the socks and hats from the hospital suck and don't stay on) and a bib and burp cloth in case he's a messy eater. We used the clothes the hospital provided while we were getting the hang of things (who cares if you ruin that, right?!). Then his coming home outfit can jump in your bag.

I would pass on the night gowns for you. If you're bleeding and nursing you'll just get messy and I liked just saying "another please" and not worrying about sticking my stuff somewhere to come home. At my hospital they actually gave you these mesh panties that held the pad in place (I stuck two together so it would cover more but the Depends idea is fantastic! I didn't have a prob with the toilet paper...I was really "wiping" anyway ---- more blotting. I was afraid to hurt myself. A towel might be a good idea too but again, if you get blood on it, it's gotta go somewhere until you get home. I would just do undies/Depends, a few pairs of good warm socks and your robe. Then a coming home outfit and your toiletry bag.

The phone tree is great! We sent mass texts...I was a scheduled induction so pretty much everyone knew ahead of time. You can always post a blog pic or Facebook mobile upload to inform everyone. Things for you to do (laptop, book, etc) would be good. A few days in the hospital can get boring (I was there 2 nights and 3 days with a normal vag delivery). Remember to let the hospital help...catch up on your rest while you're there...you have forever to "do-it-yourself" but it's much better to come home rested and ready to go then be exhausted from the time he gets here.

I don't know how far from the hospital you are, but the hubby can always run home or to the store (or some else for that matter) if you forget something non-labor related. My hubby was ready for a hospital break after about a day and a half so he went to the mall and made Lainey a Build-a-Bear.

One last thing...for L&D, I had 2 more tube socks that I filled with rice...we put one in the freezer and one in the microwave on sort of a rotation. I still use then at home bc they are awesome and much easier to position than a traditional heating pad.

I was induced with Lainey 5 days early and she didn't drop until the day before so with a little over 2 weeks to go, I'd say you're doing great! I'll be thinking about you --- I'm 35 weeks and my induction is scheduled for August 24th (CANNOT wait!!!!). But you are a better woman than I...I'm already asking for my epi --- my take: Modern medicine is here for a reason! If I had to be induced, I trusted my doc and the premise that there was a reason it was necessary. Same mindset for a c-section...not my top choice butif it was necessary...I was going to be on board. Stressing that you're doing something wrong during that intense time isn't going to be good for you or Henry. Just stay calm, trust that your body is made for all variations of childbirth, and trust your doc (you picked him/her for a reason!)!!!

Michelle said...

Camera and baby book (for foot prints) in the labor bag!!! :)

And boppy was a huge help as a new nursing mommy of a little baby! Love my boppy!

I too love seeing "wait until HE is ready"...I was impatient...never again! ;)

I can't wait to read about Henry's entrance into the world...well, I can wait, til he's ready! ;) :)

Sending you progress vibes!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

PS. My hospital did not have clothes for babies....just paper gowns (nice huh???)...so for us, we did bring clothes too! So, check with a local friend on that one!

Courtney said...

lots of great info girls! thanks so much...keep it coming :). Yes Michelle that is what I heard about our hossy from a friend of mine that the shirts they give them are like paper. I'm glad she told me that because I never would have known and didn't have anything packed for him except for his going home outfit.

Amanda said...

Wow that stinks about the baby clothes. They had nice gerber wrap shirts and gowns at ours...so yes I would take my own baby clothes! And the boppy will be really nice if plan on bfing. I forgot the baby book, but DH made sure to get the foot prints on a piece of paper so we could add it to the book. I am actually glad we did it that way because I guess the first attempt he jerked and they were all blurry. So we were able to try again :) Also, check with your hospital about snacks. Ours had a "daddy room" with just about every kind of snack you could imagine. He may have a favorite you want to bring anyway, but it may be worth looking into. Each hossy is so different though it is hard to guess what you may need at yours. GOOD LUCK.

gracemejin said...

Hi Courtney!
I ran into your blog after going on webMD and other blogs...I am so encouraged by your strength and faith and am so happy for your new bundle of joy!

My husband and I just finished our first cycle and I am realizing there is a huge community of supporters out there! We're praying for a miracle!

Your blog is genuine, honest, and so full of hope! God bless.

xoxox

MoDLin said...

You sure do sound ready to roll! It shouldn't be toooo much longer now. BTW, these are great suggestions in the comments.

Courtney said...

I can't believe you're already to this point. Good luck!

The Dettling's said...

Good call on the glasses. I forgot to mention that. Yes, they will make you take your contacts out possibly even during a regular delivery (i.e. sans section.) Also, make sure you have an extra blanket, your pillow, one of each for Shaun too, a pair of pj bottoms or yoga pants (you may feel more comfortable in these when guests come to visit and after sitting in that bed for several days!), socks, flip flops and/or slippers for trips to the bathroom and walking the halls, notebook & pen, hairbrush/comb, and going home outfit for yourself (about 6 months pregnant size.) I'm packing mine and the boys' bags tomorrow too! And anything you forget, I can run out and get for you! Can't wait to meet our sweet nephew!!! Love you! :)

Courtney said...

Oh Girls!! I'm going to update just as soon as I even THINK about going to the hospital! I even have the email blogger thing activated so I can send blog updates via blackberry through email. So all of you will be in the know! I have an appt this afternoon so will update later!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Thanks for this!! I'm printing it out to bring home and start to think about packing my bags...