Saturday, August 1, 2009

Waiting for the Big Day

When is it going to be?? When will we get to meet our sweet Henry? We go to bed every night and wake up every morning wondering if today could be the day. I really thought I wouldn't feel this way this week after our not-so-great appointment (not much progress), but of course starting Monday night and all week long I've had some pre-labor/early labor signs. Warning MAJOR TMI ahead (there is way too much information on this blog..why stop now??)...it all started with a pretty bad case of diarrhea (I stayed by the toilet most of Tuesday). Well of course this could be food poisoning/stomach bug/or an early labor sign. According to my new favorite book "The Birth Partner," loose stool/diarrhea is caused by an increase in prostaglandins.."these substances soften and thin the cervix and stimulate bowel activity." So of course I started to get a little excited...first time I've ever been excited by that! Then on Wednesday I was feeling pretty normal until late afternoon. I started noticing a lot of contractions so I decided to time them. They were coming every four minutes and lasting for a minute or longer. I also was feeling them more in my back, which is a first for me. I started getting everything ready for the hospital, and Shaun also got a few things together just in case. We didn't rush off to the hospital even though this went on for several hours because the contractions did not become closer together, and they were somewhat painful at times but I could easily be distracted from them. I've heard you really shouldn't think about going to the hospital until you can't talk through a contraction. And since we want to go natural, I would prefer to do some labor at home so no reason to rush. Around midnight...they stopped. sigh. We were starting to get excited :). The rest of this week I've continued to notice an increase in contractions. I also believe that he is dropped. There is a space between my boobs and my belly now (sorry tmi) and previously my boobs were pretty much resting on my belly. Another new development is these incredible sharp shooting pains that happen extremely low sometimes when I'm guessing that Henry is moving his head. It usually happens around a time that he is active so that is why I'm guessing he is the cause ;). It absolutely stops me in my tracks...I can't move, talk, think...until it passes. So there is the progress update! Now if we can just get the real facts on Monday and hope that there is some progress there. I can be patient (as much as I would love for him to come tomorrow), but progress would be encouraging. I've been sitting very unlady like in a squat on a exercise ball and on the edge of my couch this week trying to make sure he can get into position (trying to avoid a c-section here!). I will probably post a blog and some updates if I do go to the hospital! I try to close my eyes sometimes and picture holding him for the first time, and I just can't believe it is really going to happen and within DAYS. Will keep all of you updated!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

The anticipation is sometimes so exciting...but I know you'd rather just be holding him! So soon! Like you know, you won't be pregnant forever, so it's gonna happen in the next few weeks, for sure!

You should start posting EVERY DAY...that way if you go more than a day without posting, we'll know you're in labor! Hehehehe!!! :) :) OR, will you have access in the hospital to tell us asap??? You know your blog world friends are gonna be going crazy with wonder!!!!!!

Robin said...

I agree with Michelle! We need posts every day (haha, like you don't have anything else to do). When I see that you haven't posted I imagine that you're off the the hospital and that Henry might even be here!!

I think those low shooting pains might be you dialating, also. Diarrhea is a good sign, your mucous plug (way tmi) is another. That usually means you're dialating and have less than 48 hrs to go. Do you think the docs will strip your membranes?

Good luck!!!!
(((hugs)))

Ashley said...

I love all your posts! I remember those sharp pains..ick. But yes - what an amazing feeling to know you are going to be holding that sweet baby in a matter of days!! I think, while you are waiting, you need to post pictures of the nursery! I'm dying to see them...and maybe throw in an updated belly pic for good measure :) hehe Can't wait to hear how the dr appt goes tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm chomping at the bits waiting for little Henry to get here!!

Post every day!! Post every day!! Post every day!! Post every day!!

Michelle said...

Okay, I know you might not really post every day...but are you out there??? I'm getting excited that I haven't seen you!!! ;)