Friday, August 1, 2008

Follow-Up on Baby Therapy

I'm so excited that so many of you were inspired by my Baby Therapy post. I just know that this was God given. The idea never left my head until I finally called, and the day that I called..the orientation was hours away. Here are some tips if you are interested in doing this in your hometown:
1. Call each hospital in town and ask for "volunteer services"--you can just call the main switchboard number
2. Once you get in touch with someone in the volunteer dept., you will need to tell them that you are interested in volunteering at the woman's/infant hospital (might be good to already have the name googled)
3. They should transfer you to the volunteer coordinator for that part of the hospital.
4. Be open about dealing with infertility...."Yes I was calling to see if you had any need for volunteers in the newborn nursery. I've been dealing with infertility OR I've been seeing Dr.____ there at _____ hospital for infertility (that's what I got to say because my dr practices there), and I would really love the opportunity to help out in any way that I can." It has really helped the process that my volunteer coordinator knows about what is going on with me so that she can be sensitive and encouraging. I also think she has really enjoyed giving me the opportunity to hold babies because she knows how much it means to me.
5. Try a lower-income/state hospital first--I know this is sad, but they might be more open to it because some times they have more birth mothers at this type of hospital that for whatever reason can't make it to the hospital very often to see/hold their babies

Please keep me updated if any of you decide to try it in your hometown. Some of you have expressed concern that you might get emotional. Believe me those nurses have seen a million tears and have probably cried their fair share so don't let that hold you back if you are interested in volunteering.

P.S. Need a laugh?? read the post from today: http://eternitytomaternity.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Yetty said...

thanks for the thoughtful encouragement. There is something inherently beautiful about newborn babies that can only be from God

Katie said...

Thanks for swinging by my blog and for the shout-out on this post. I am usually not that raunchy, but that Prometrium stuff is killer!

Good luck with the provera-- I took it for a couple of cycles without too many ill effects! All relative, I guess.

And mega props for volunteering in the infant ward. I volunteer each week at a home for children, but I am not sure I could do the baby thing. That's awesome you are advocating it and enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful that you volunteer in the newborn nursery! I'd like to look in to that...
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Things are moving along, slowly but surely!!

Faith said...

That's just beautiful -- I am so proud of you!

Bernardeena said...

New to reading your blog, but I just wanted to say that volunteering in the baby unit sounds like a wonderful thing to do.

I Believe in Miracles said...

Thanks for the info!! I'm not sure I'll have the time to, but if I do, I'll let you know.

*HUGS*

Indy said...

This sounds like a great idea...I'm on summer vacation and have been trying to find a hobby. Hmm...let me see if I build up the courage to actually follow through with this. I'll let you know. =)